Matt Prince on Marketing
Posted November 6, 2010on:
Last Thursday, Matt Prince spoke at my college’s PRSSA meeting. Prince, who is the manager of executive communications at Disneyland Resort, spoke specifically on advice for college students and recent graduates, but many of his points can apply to a wider audience. I won’t borrow all of his points, but here are a few of the main pointers he gave:
- Things change, so be flexible and learn to adapt as your audiences, society and technology change.
- Network. Meet people in your profession and learn from them through informational interviews.
- Take some time out for yourself. Prince keeps a blog on dating, a topic that has nothing to do with his job.
- Be patient, but don’t wait. It’s good to look for jobs that you’ll enjoy, so don’t jump at the first job that comes around if you don’t think you’ll be able to enjoy it. But don’t expect to get your dream job or a job that pays well right of the bat. Follow your instincts. If you think it’ll work well, start your own company and work for friends and other connections on the side in addition to your regular job. Prince started his own marketing company: Prince Marketing.
- Brainstorm. It’s essential that you think about where people need to be, what they need to be doing, who they need to be meeting with, etc. Prince said he keeps a white board in his office for brainstorming sessions. Of course, if he ever needs a quick break or needs to clear his mind, he goes for a quick ride on Space Mountain.